Entry in online diary: Happy New Year to us!

Update: 17 June 2004

(Coincidence, n. – a remarkable concur­rence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.)

I first started writing this narrative on 23 January 2004 which, coincidentally, was the 7th anniversary of the death of my father – who, coincidentally, died of a ruptured aneurysm. I didn’t have a clue what an aneurysm was at the time, but I think I have a better idea now. I also didn’t have a clue that an aneurysm support group existed; I was guided here, and certainly didn’t go looking for it.

Last Monday was when we went to see Mr Bonser – coincidentally, it was the final week of our first year of marriage – and that week ended with the wonderful news that Mr Bonser could save Alan with the same operative risks as those given by the Americans.

Monday 14th June, just gone, was our first wedding anniversary and, coincident­ally, the excellent news came through that the PCT have finally agreed to pay for Alan’s operation privately, probably aided by a few strong threats from our solicitor, Richard Stein of Leigh, Day and Co. in London (just in case anyone needs a lawyer of this calibre). Arrangements are taking place to fit Alan in as soon as possible, probably within a month.

When Alan and I met I was, coincident­ally, living in Birmingham and, having left our marital home (because we were doing nothing much other than taking all this mess out on each other), I am once again living in Birmingham. Alan is going to have his operation in Birmingham and we are going to buy a house here so I can take care of him once he comes out of hospital. I think we have, indeed, been full circle. And I still believe God has helped us through this. The fact that we won our battle on our first anniversary is surely an omen, if not a coincidence – out with the Old and in with the New?

We are thrilled to have won this appal­ling and destructive battle but we both know the biggest hurdle is still in front of us. Alan now has a month to try to get himself in the right frame of mind to undergo this massive operation which will take two days. With all the horror he’s had to endure in the past 15 months, it’s not going to be easy, but I am trying my best to help him stay sane.

To all of you who have supported us through this, please can I ask that you pray for Alan now … we have opened the doors for anyone else in this horrendous sit­uation also to be saved and I hope I have given some useful information out on how to go about getting treatment and funding, either in the UK or overseas.

My dearest confidante on this site, Sharon Dudgeon, is the author of ‘Merry Christ­mas to Me’ … All I can say, coincid­ent­ally, is Happy New Year to us!